Dr. Theressa Gregg James, the very gracious and efficient Episcopal Supervisor Retired, celebrates her 98th Birthday, Friday, November 13, 2020. Dr. James is the wife of Bishop Frederick Calhoun James, the Ninety-Third Elected and Consecrated Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Birth Place and Education
- Dr. James was born in Marion, South Carolina to the Late Mr. and Mrs. Grant Gregg
- St. John AME Church, Marion, South Carolina was the family’s home church
- Early education received at Marion County Training School
- Undergraduate work, Kittrell College, Kittrell, NC (Freshman and Sophomore Years)
- Allen University, Columbia, South Carolina, (she and Bishop James’ “Beloved” Allen University), Bachelor of Arts Degree, Major in History, Cum Laude Graduate
- Master’s Degree, Columbia University in New York, NY, major, Childhood Education-Older Children
- Awarded Doctorate of Humanities Degree, Monrovia College, Monrovia, Liberia West Africa, 1988 for her dedication in Missions
Dr. James is a retired educator and enjoyed a career in the following:
- Marion County Training School, Marion, South Carolina - Teaching
- Waverly Elementary School, Columbia, South Carolina -Teaching
- Liberty Street Elementary School, Sumter, South Carolina – Assistant Principal
While serving as First Lady, Dr. James was actively involved in the life of the churches where the then, Rev. F.C. James was assigned as pastor, particularly with the Women’s Missionary Society and Young Peoples Division.
- She is a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Life Member and Legacy Life Member of the National Council of Negro Women
Dr. James is also an author, “An Historical Review of Missions In South Africa.”
Her church work included the Women’s Missionary Society, Church Women United, World Federation of Methodist Women, the Bishop’s Spouses Council, Governing Board of The National Council of Churches of America and Church World Service Committee
Dr. James actively and faithfully served as Episcopal Supervisor beside Bishop James in the 15th (South Africa and South West Africa), 18the (Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Mozambique), 12th( Oklahoma and Arkansas), 7th Episcopal District (South Carolina), the Ecumenical and Urban Affairs Office of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the 2nd (Washington, D.C., North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland, respectively.
They were and remain “a model Christian Couple.”
Join us in showering Dr. Theressa Gregg James with Birthday greetings and well wishes.
Mail cards to:
Dr. Theressa Gregg James, Supervisor Retired
2421 Lang Street (Home Address)
Columbia, SC 29204
Messages can also be emailed to:
BishopFCJ@aol.com or BISHOPFREDCJAMES@aol.com
Birthday greetings can also be sent to:
Office of Bishop Frederick C. James
3700 Forest Drive #420
Columbia, SC 29204
(803) 787-8201, (803) 787-8215 – FAX